Thursday, April 23, 2009

No Pressure. Really.

There are many defining moments in life as a mother, and certainly some as life as a mother of an athlete. Twenty-five years ago, such moments were generally documented simply by being present in the stands, and maybe--maybe--if you were a really ambitious mother, written in a diary or journal somewhere. Or maybe you would have just jotted down scores and key points on the back of a ticket stub or program. Today, most of your defining moments are caught on some form of visual media: cell phone recording for possibly posting to a website, the timeless video recorder, or just a simple camera--whether digital or actual film. And today, your truly ambitions mothers scrapbook or blog, being sure to include those pictures.

Apparently, I am only somewhat ambitious. Or possibly only somewhat good at documenting these defining moments. I mean, sure... I blog about the events that are shaping my boys' athletic lives. But the pictures? Not really appearing so often here, are they?

Last week, Jock gave me one such defining moment. My boy, the one who doesn't get nearly the chances he wants to get because high school sports are ridiculously political, hit a home run in his baseball game. Not just any home run, though. Oh no. He hit a rarely-seen-in-the-pros-let-alone-in-high-school GRAND SLAM!

And why is this a defining moment for me, as opposed to a moment for him, you might be asking? Well, because this moment, this rare, spectacular moment; was not documented at all. I failed to bring the camera with me to the game that day. The only picture I got from that beauty of a hit came AFTER we got home, and I let the ball out of my hands long enough to set it on the counter.

It is truly a beautiful ball, and now sits on our trophy shelf. Where I have jotted down the score and the date, right on the leather. Apparently my love of the early 80's is reflected in more than my taste in music. It's in the way I document the moments of my kids' lives, too.





PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

8 comments:

Lindy said...

Clicked over from momblogs...wanted to congrats! The grand slam must feel awesome (for you and him) :)

C and C Mommy said...

Little League is very political and I hate it!!

Congratulations.....on the homerun.

TisforTonya said...

I hate the politics of sports whether it's LL or HS, but I love when it goes well so much that we'll tolerate all of it!

Way to go - I love that you scrawled on the ball - that's the best memento ever.

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

I think it is great that you wrote on "The Ball" and put it on your trophy shelf! What a great mom you are :D

Wayne said...

HOME RUUUUNNN!!!!! congrats

great photo friday

Shellie said...

I have a hard time remembering the camera too. You documented it just great, 80's style.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Wow! Congrats to him for is awesome hit! Everyone wants to hit a grand slam! Way to record it --- in any form!

I Am Boymom said...

I keep trying to convince my husband to get me a better phone with a better camera on it since I can never seem to remember my camera either. What a great trophy he has to take with him as he goes through life, with all the important facts written right on it. Good job, Mom.