Friday, March 5, 2010

Faster Than A Speeding Bullet

The Teenager had his first track meet this week. It was cold, it was kind of long, and it definitely left me hungry. At ground level, it was a nice breeze. Sitting up in the shaded bleachers, it was a very cold and blustery wind. A 3:30 pm start time apparently just means that 3:30 pm is the time the announcer turns on the microphone. And I began to really worry when the concession stand worker informed me that because it was a short meet, there would be no hot food served. The meet was scheduled to end around 8:00pm; five and a half hours is a SHORT meet?

I've been a football mom for what often feels like decades. I've been a baseball mom for many, many years. But I've never been a track mom. I had no idea what to expect. No one forewarned me. No one prepared me. No one told me to bring a sandwhich and a jacket.

No one told me that frozen fingertips, never ending goosebumps, and a stomach that was talking to everyone within three rows of bleachers would totally be worth it to witness what winning his first two individual races would mean to a kid who's never run track a day in his life. And winning them as a member of the Varsity team, no less. He's always had a level of self-confidence. But after this meet?

He believes in himself.



And that is totally worth being hungry and cold. But I will definitely be bringing a cooler of food and drinks and a jacket to the next meet. And maybe a sleeping bag, since it's supposed to be a longer one.



PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Kelli

6 comments:

Cecily R said...

See, this is where I can actually give YOU advice! I was a track wife for a few years and then a track coach's wife for a few more. Meets can be LONNNNNNNNNNNNG.

But worth it. I'm so glad he's doing so well already!!

Unknown said...

That's so awesome. I love hearing these tales, especially as my kids get to the age of starting their sporting lives.

Ridiculous about the lack of hot food though. To me five hours till calls for some hot dogs or SOMETHING.

Big Mark 243 said...

It has to be especially satisfying for your son to see that his talents extend beyond football. That does give one the confidence to do things with a certain fearlessness.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Congrats! I've been trying to convince my son he needs to go out for track.... to keep in shape for next wrestling season.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Glad he's enjoying it so much. Hopefully, it warms up for you soon...and you have lots of snack next time.

Laura said...

I got to track meets each spring to watch my students run. They do get pretty long. I plan on taking my iPod and loading up a movie this Spring.