Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Yearbook Was Signed 555-TOAD

Today I'm going to spread some bloggy love. (Hey! Remember that I'm primarily a "mommy blogger".... get your minds out of the gutter!)

Today, one of my favorite people ever..... one of my very best friends since we met on the first day of our sophomore year in high school..... today, she joins me in the "Halfway to 70" club!

I spent an extremely large chunk of my high school years at her house. We would hit the grocery store first, grabbing iced oatmeal cookies and orange juice for me, seltzer water for her, and then just hang out up in her room, talking. Laughing until we cried. Sometimes, crying until we laughed.

If I remember correctly, we did both after she got her first speeding ticket.

She met Coach before anyone else did. She was my maid of honor in my wedding. If we were Catholic, she would have been Jock's godmother. There has never been anyone else in my life who can both commiserate and celebrate--at the same time--like she can.

She understands me. She forgives me. She never judges me or my life decisions. She loves me. (And if none of that is true, well.... she allows me to keep my delusions, so that's ok too!)

I've known her for 20 years now. I followed her to Arizona. She followed me to Blogland. I'd say she got the better end of that deal...... it's less desert-y in Blogland, and always climate controlled!

So everyone do me a big favor, ok? Head over to peak in on Rockin' Austin at Another Leap of Faith and wish her a huge Happy Birthday! Check out some of her older posts. I really like this one and this one. She's awesome. She's honest. She's real.

Happy Birthday, B! I truly don't think I'd be where I'm at, or exactly who I am, if I hadn't had you in my corner for the last 20 years. You've pushed me when I needed pushing. You've caught me when I've needed catching. And you've always been available for oatmeal cookies.

You rock, and I love you for it.

2 comments:

Rockin Austin said...

Awww...I'm so touched, truly. :) Although you picked a heck of a time to send people over to my blog. This week has been...uh...filled with some interesting topics. :) Thank you for the birthday wish and thank you for standing by my side all these years. Love you back babe! RA

Anonymous said...

What a great story of friendship. I'm checking her blog out right now.

And thanks for reminding me that I'm half-way to 70.