Monday, October 5, 2009

The World Keeps Spinning So Why Shouldn't I?

Have you ever noticed that as you grow up, you stop doing things you did when you were younger? There are things we've all done as children, teenagers and young adults. No one actually tells you that you have to stop doing these things, and for the most part it's not a conscious choice to quit. You just sort of reach a "moment" when, without even really recognizing that you've reached that moment, you .... simply.... stop.


Playing "slug bug".


Hopping over cracks in the sidewalk.


Playing with spaghetti noodles.


Slurping jello.


Building a fort in the living room.


Spinning in circles, as fast as you can, arms spread wide, head up towards the clouds.


Finding shapes of animals and faces in the clouds.


Skipping.


Hanging your head out of the car window while Dad's driving, just to feel the wind in your face.


I know I can't remember the last time I did any of these things. Well, except for slurping my jello. I did that about a month ago, and got a tremendous amount of giggles out of Bug. This weekend, though? As Coach and I were driving around with Bug in the backseat, out of the blue I hear this



Now I get why dogs love this so much! It's AWESOME!!


Turning around, this is what I saw:


And I wondered why I didn't do that more often. And decided that maybe I'll start. I won't worry about what my hair will look like, or how many tangles I'll have to brush out when I get home. Which is good, because when I get home? I think I'll throw my arms wide and my head to the sky, and spin and spin and spin...... remembering that the best parts of the world always happen when I forget I'm too grown up to enjoy them anymore.

3 comments:

I Am Boymom said...

I still do is look for cloud shapes. And once in awhile I put my arm out of the window on the freeway and let the pressure of the passing wind/air push it to the back of the door frame. Except last time I did it I saw my arm flab flapping in the wind, so it kind of took the fun out of it. Maybe that's why stop...we see what we look like doing those things!?

Unknown said...

The only thing I was forced to stop doing was "Spinning in circles, as fast as you can, arms spread wide, head up towards the clouds." I can't for safety reasons. You understand why and the bit about riding with my head out the window... I'm the driver. I figure it 's not the safest thing to do. Kinda messes with the vehicle's alignment in the lane. The rest... whenever possible.

Iqra said...

Reading this has brought back so many memories. I used to walk on tiles evenly as a child. By that I mean that if there was a checkered floor, I would put my right foot on the white tiles only and my left foot on the black tiles. I must have looked silly walking like that, but I liked doing it then. I remember the last time I played with toys--I suddenly put them all away and didn't take them out again. My brother stopped, too, because he didn't have anyone to play with then. I felt a little guilty cutting my little brother's toy-playing age short like that.