Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Is There A Sweeter Sound.....

.... than the crack of a bat as it knocks the ball right out to the fence? I love baseball season!

Jock had a game last night. And while I'd love to say it was the sound of MY son's bat I was hearing, he didn't even get up to bat. Last couple of games, the coach has been using him as a "courtesy runner" for the pitchers or the catcher. (One small bit of bragging here..... since its my blog and I can brag if I want to..... the last time he was timed, it was discovered that Jock can get from Base A to Base B in 3.2 seconds. Why yes, he IS the fastest kid on the team!) And while we love it that putting him on base is almost a guaranteed run scored, it might be kind of nice to see him at the plate. But, as we keep telling him, the coach has his reasons. Just because he hasn't shared his game plan with the rest of us doesn't mean there isn't one. We won by one run last night. If Jock had not been able to steal those bases and score (he crossed the plate twice), we would have lost by one run. So yes, he is an integral part of the game. It would just be nice sometimes to see the run from home plate to first base. Oh well. At least he's on the field. There are sixteen boys on the team, so we'll take any playing time we can get.

Don't you just love my use of the word "we"? Like I'm on the team with him or something?

We have one more game this week; on Thursday. Do you remember during football season when we drove over an hour to get to one of his games? That.....? Nothing compared to the drive I'm making this week. This one is two and a half hours.... ONE DIRECTION..... to get to. I think it might even be up where parts of Arizona get some snow, we'll be going that far north. I'm taking half the day off to get there. Because of course you know the game starts at 3:30 pm. Which is probably a good thing since the drive home will take the same amount of time, plus I'll have to go to the school and pick him up.

I've decided its a good thing I love both my son and my truck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok. I've seen this next idea on other blogs, and while I love it.... I've been hesitant to "borrow" it and end up looking like everyone else. However, the more I think about it, the more I like it; for many reasons. One, it gives you all a chance to get to know me a little better.... and what self-respecting narcissist doesn't love an opportunity like that? And two, it will give me more of an insight into the workings of YOUR brains. What am I talking about? Well, I present to you my idea for an upcoming post. With your cooperation, of course.

The exclusive Locker Room Interview With the Sports Mama.

Has there been something you've been dying to know, that I haven't already talked about? (Really, it would have to be a doozy, as I've already talked about a lot of things best left hidden in the locker!)

Or maybe there is something you'd like to ask the athletes themselves, or even the Coach? (Although I can't guarantee you'll like the answers you get from them. I frequently don't.)

Whatever it is, ask away. If I can answer it, I will. If it needs to be fielded by one of my boys, I'll do my best to pin 'em down. I'll even give you a couple of days to think of really good questions.

C'mon. Hit me with your best shot.

*Disclaimer and other general rules: Please remember that this is a family friendly blog, so keep all questions to a printable nature. You may ask as many questions as you wish, but like any true sports figure, I will feel free to ignore them at my leisure (hehehe) and move on to the next one. And please refrain from asking any questions about any recent scandalous behaviour you might have read about in the National Enquirer, or seen on Jerry Springer. We prefer to conduct separate interviews for those issues.*

12 comments:

suchsimplepleasures said...

i love the new look!!
hey...love your play list!! so does my 4 year old...he's digging pat benatar!!
xo

Burgh Baby said...

Have you seen the question I always ask when people do this? Bwahahaha! I'll be back with it later.

Yay! for having the fast kid on the team. Little Man needs to be getting into track, he'd rock the 100M.

Flea said...

Oh geez. I can't think of anything. Probably stuff you've already posted and I haven't read. So why do y'all live in Arizona? Have you ever been east of the Mississippi? North to Canada? Out of the continental US?

Have you ever memorized the Gettysburg address? What is your favorite thing that you've memorized?

How old were you when you had your first child? When you married Coach? When you had your last child?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Is it an infinite amount?

Jennifer S said...

I'll have to come up with a good one...but it might take me a day or so. :-)

Unknown said...

Yay for the athleticism. And, using Pat Benatar as a segue? This is why I love you.

Unknown said...

Oh, and I'll "Fire away" after I come up with something good.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

If you had to come back as an animal, what would it be and why?


You MUST switch lives for one week with a clebrity....who and why?

Oprah brings you on as EXPERT GUEST...what's the topic?

If you HAD to swallow an insect alive (you must chew it) which insect would you choose?

Hallie

Cecily R said...

First of all, you ARE on the team! Moms are the sixth man and the designated hitter on EVERY team! Brag all you want too, I LOVE hearing about it!!

Secondly, a question...how would you feel and what would you do if one of your kids just didn't want to do the sports thing? That's a lame, dorky question, but I AM curious!

LunaNik said...

First of all my lovely, I haven't been around in a while so this is the first I've seen of your new look and I love it!!!

Secondly, GO JOCK!!

Thirdly, whenever anyone does these "ask me a question" posts, my mind always goes blank. So please don't be offended that I don't have a question for you just yet. I just can't seem to think lately which is why I haven't been around.

Hugs and smooches...

The Sports Mama said...

Hallie, I really have to wonder about how your mind works, you know that? :)

Lunanik, no worries... its not REQUIRED of my friends to ask me questions. Besides, I think between Flea and Hallie, there are plenty of questions to go around! :)

Karen said...

Give me time to think on the question. In the meantime congrats to your speedy son.

Amy said...

What is your favorite sports moment in your marriage, Jock's life and Bug's life.

(Those are 3 questions unless your favorite moment revolves around all of you.)